It’s that time again. Bike Month 2016.
What’s happening? Well, that’s up to you. What are you doing/arranging/planning/scheming for Bike Month?
Here at Bikeology.ca and VELOfest, we are going to go out riding, so will be winding down the shop. We have looked around us and we see so many exciting bikey things going on! We are proud and satisfied to have been a part of making Edmonton the #yegbike place it is. We know that other groups and other people are picking up our mantle and taking it for a test-drive (so to mix metaphors).
What do OUR changes mean for YOU?
- We’ll continue with previous commitments, but will be winding them down,
- If you have an event you want on our calendar, let us know and we’ll get it on in a timely manner,
- We’ll attend your events if you give us some lead time,
- We’ll forward your information to the appropriate groups, including, but not limited to: The Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society (info[at]edmontonbikes[dot]ca) and the Bike Traffic Reporter, Karly Coleman who shows up on Peter Chapman’s show, Full English Breakfast. You can reach Karly and Peter at bike[at]cjsr[dot]com.
Otherwise, may the wind always be at your back!
Kind regards, the VELOfest team
Fraught with confusion since the beginning, it behooves us to explain (now that we’ve revamped our style and look) what the differences between these three entities are!
- Generally a month (or 30 days) of activities centred around bicycles
- Typically in May or June, depending on the latitude at which one resides… Florida = May… Edmonton… you get the picture.
- Often includes events like breakfasts, rides, movies, etc.
- The Edmonton specific designation to the Festival that resided in Bike Month
- Typically hosted by various groups which were then melted into one – Velofest Edmonton
- Often includes events like breakfasts, rides, movies, etc. HOWEVER, the “Bikeology” designation was intended to indicate the event’s free status, whereas other events, just lurking in Bike Month, but not organized by the Bikeology crew could have costs attached. A fine example for comparison is happening soon! The Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society lovely, lovely Ride to the Symphony, which can include tickets to the Symphony, supper ahead of time, and leisurely drinks on the way. Compare this to the Bikeology: Bikey Breakfast, hosted by Earth’s General Store, which featured free pancakes and a hot drink!
VELOfest Edmonton League and Organization:
- The non-profit group that runs Bikeology, which hosts events in Bike Month, which is in June in Edmonton, because in June, we may not get snow…
Eep! Turns out when things change, it’s important to keep abreast of what’s changed…
As you may remember, there was a calendar of events that were hosted by Bikeology: Festival, to which you could merrily go and meet other bikey folk. This calendar was updated to reflect the new look and feel of the website, BUT we forgot that changes to one end meant changes to other ends… in this instance the CALENDAR!… Sigh… this weekend we’ll be working frantically to populate it!! Trust us, there ARE EVENTS HAPPENING IN Bike Month. Promise and they start tomorrow with the MEC Bikefest, from 11-2 p.m.
Wondering where we’ve been? We’ve been re-aligning our processes, putting out fires, thinking about strategies, and wondering about our place in the world.
Don’t panic! We aren’t going away. We are just clearing the field for YOU and your beloved bikey projects!
What’s going on in the #yegbike scene? Here’s some things to check out:
- Saturday, April 25, Earth Day – 104 Street, at the pocket park, between 12-3
- Wednesday, April 29, Marinoni: Fire in the Frame at Metro Cinema
- EVERY Friday, #yegbike, #coffeeoutside in a location near you (possibly! Check Twitter for deets)
Stay tuned for a more complete listing of Eddie Bike Month activities. IF you have an event, let us know and we’ll spread the word!!
Our festival’s been around for a while, and you’ll be glad to know we are just getting started. We would like to incorporate new and different programming, so that’s where you come in: if you are interested in getting involved in setting priorities for Edmonton’s Bikeology Festival please join our crew, October 26th, to do just that!
We’d be delighted to hear what sort of bikey events Festival City can handle, and what you’d like to see happen here!
Check back to our website for more details closer to the event, but otherwise, please mark your calendars!