It’s that time again. Bike Month 2016.
What’s happening? Well, that’s up to you. What are you doing/arranging/planning/scheming for Bike Month?
Here at Bikeology.ca and VELOfest, we are going to go out riding, so will be winding down the shop. We have looked around us and we see so many exciting bikey things going on! We are proud and satisfied to have been a part of making Edmonton the #yegbike place it is. We know that other groups and other people are picking up our mantle and taking it for a test-drive (so to mix metaphors).
What do OUR changes mean for YOU?
- We’ll continue with previous commitments, but will be winding them down,
- If you have an event you want on our calendar, let us know and we’ll get it on in a timely manner,
- We’ll attend your events if you give us some lead time,
- We’ll forward your information to the appropriate groups, including, but not limited to: The Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society (info[at]edmontonbikes[dot]ca) and the Bike Traffic Reporter, Karly Coleman who shows up on Peter Chapman’s show, Full English Breakfast. You can reach Karly and Peter at bike[at]cjsr[dot]com.
Otherwise, may the wind always be at your back!
Kind regards, the VELOfest team
Hey, Bikey folk, check this out.. This weekend…be there or … well, you know the rest… The Edmonton Bike Show
Check out this lovely presentation from Greg and his beloved Lana and their children!
Touring La Belle Province
Fraught with confusion since the beginning, it behooves us to explain (now that we’ve revamped our style and look) what the differences between these three entities are!
- Generally a month (or 30 days) of activities centred around bicycles
- Typically in May or June, depending on the latitude at which one resides… Florida = May… Edmonton… you get the picture.
- Often includes events like breakfasts, rides, movies, etc.
- The Edmonton specific designation to the Festival that resided in Bike Month
- Typically hosted by various groups which were then melted into one – Velofest Edmonton
- Often includes events like breakfasts, rides, movies, etc. HOWEVER, the “Bikeology” designation was intended to indicate the event’s free status, whereas other events, just lurking in Bike Month, but not organized by the Bikeology crew could have costs attached. A fine example for comparison is happening soon! The Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society lovely, lovely Ride to the Symphony, which can include tickets to the Symphony, supper ahead of time, and leisurely drinks on the way. Compare this to the Bikeology: Bikey Breakfast, hosted by Earth’s General Store, which featured free pancakes and a hot drink!
VELOfest Edmonton League and Organization:
- The non-profit group that runs Bikeology, which hosts events in Bike Month, which is in June in Edmonton, because in June, we may not get snow…