Bike Month is fast approaching and we need your help! Please let me know if some of the following volunteer opportunities resonate with you.
1. In groups of 2 or 3, distributing leaflets to LRT commuters on Thursday May 29th and Friday May 30th. Info will include Bike Month events, ETS bikes on buses, the commuter challenge (commuterchallenge.ca), Clean Air Day events and more to inspire Edmonton to get involved in making this a better city!
2. Clean Air Day Commuter Race and Breakfast. Want to race by bike, multi-modally by bike and bus? We also need help to set up the breakfast, to help the racers start and to greet them at the end. The race is from 72 ave and 109 street to the concrete public area on the south side of the Stanley A. Milner Library downtown.
3.Bike Movies at Metro Cinema. Each Monday night in June – sign up for one or as many as you like. Someone to give out tickets for the free give-away draws and to let people know that the movies are free.
June 2, 9,16, 23, and 30
4. Hauling bike trailers to events. EBC is proud to be running this Bike Month car-free, just like last year. If you’ve got the thigh strength and can ride in traffic calmly and responsibly, please let us know if you can haul for us. Dates for hauling include
Bikey Breakfasts June 6, 13, 20, 27
Clean Air Day June 4
Mocktails on the Bridge June 12 and 26th
Bikeology June 28th
5. Bikeology Festival – lots to sign up for here! All positions include set-up and tear down, many hands make light work.
help the children’s entertainer, be a float to relieve table sitters, help with the bike-on-bus race, help take results for a survey, help hand out prizes, and many other jobs
6. Postering and Handlebarring! If you’d like to put posters up for Bike Month and Bikeology Festival (two different posters), please let us know. We’ll let you know if there’s a place that needs postering and keep track of where our posters go up. FYI we’ve hired a professional poster person to poster on Whyte and Downtown!
Please note that the city is now fining groups $250 for postering inappropriately, so please get permission or stick to official postering locations.
Handlebarring is taking a long slip of paper with Bike Month details, wrapping it around bicycle handlebars and stapling them. This can be done throughout bike month anywhere in the city where there’s a congregation of bikes – in your office or apartment building, at libraries, Nait or U of A, King’s college.
You can also take them on the road and hand them out where many bikes pass, or to all the cyclists who pass you on the trails (careful, now!)
Let us know how you’d like to be involved
780 264 9752